There are many blogs, posts, books etc. that highlight the great things about working for yourself. They make it seem like it is for everyone but that’s as true as saying we can all become professional skydivers, even if you have a crippling fear of heights. The point is one path does not fit all, we’re all equipped to do different jobs. So even if you have a fantastic idea think about the following things before you embark on this entrepreneurial road.
Don’t become an entrepreneur if….
1. You hate being told what to do/listening to others
– Many find the idea of working for oneself appealing because they can be their own boss; they can become fully autonomous beings; it’s their way or the highway. WRONG! As an entrepreneur you have to do more listening than ever before. Firstly, you must listen to your customers. It doesn’t matter what you think they want if it’s not what they actually want. No matter how much you love your product the customer knows best. Also your staff aren’t your slaves, at times they will take a different approach to a task that you have given them and their views do matter because they may have a better perspective than you on certain things.
2. You hate working long hours.
– Another alluring trait of being an entrepreneur is the idea that you can use your time how you wish. You can work from the comfort of your own home and take breaks at will. This may be true for those who want to go out of business quicker than you can say “liquidation” but for those of us looking to build an empire, that is as far from reality as you can get. I once heard someone say “If want to give up that 9-5, you have to be willing to work 24/7”. The hours are long and quite often your weekend must be sacrificed. Are you willing to work early and go to bed late? Can you operate on 4-5 hours of sleep when necessary? Can you forgo nights out with friends if the situation requires it? If the answer to any of these is no then I’d reconsider the whole entrepreneur thing.
3. You can’t take rejection
– The truth is most of us hate rejection. “NO!” How can a two letter word fill us with so much fear?! We’ll do anything to avoiding coming face to face with this word. I get it, but the fact of the matter is in business you’re gonna hear far more “no”s than “yeses”. It’s sad, it’s painful but you have to be willing to keep trying anyway. You can’t be afraid of hearing it because you’ll pass up many precious opportunities that may have actually resulted in a “yes”. Can you handle a day of “no”s, or week of “no”s or even a month of “no”s?
You can’t deal with (or not willing to deal with) failure and disappointment this isn’t the path for you.
I realise that this post is slightly depressing lol, but take heart because just because you said no to say of the above doesn’t mean it’s all over. As long as you’re willing to make the necessary changes then there’s still hope.
To all the entrepreneurs out there, can you relate to this? Are there any other things you’d add to this list? Comment below
Till next time. Keep Getting It!
P.S. If you want to find out what I’m doing in between posts follow me on Twitter @thisiskorede